I wasn't able to get the Ethernet light to come on under Windows XP, Puppy Linux (frugal installation), or Puppy Linux (live CD).  Thus, my problem is not specific to the OS.  Since the computer only has 256 MB of RAM, I doubt that I could run Knoppix or a Ubuntu live CD.  Until this past weekend, the Internet connection was just fine under Windows XP or Puppy Linux (frugal or live CD).