 If you can call Dell tech support, they will help by phone with the Windows side of this and that should reveal all.  If you had a
legally owned Latitude (ie, Service Tag registered/transferred to you), you would have lifetime tech support regardless of warranty.
Not all other models have this but it's worth trying anyway.  They have a user forum that you could ask in any case.

I really doubt that a general Linux utility has ALL the tricks of Dell's pro series that would include extra states with two
physically different docking stations, and so on.  The LAN connection passes through the docks, and an undock request is usually a
request to switch from LAN to battery-operated WiFi, thus the "help" with power saving.  In my case, this NIC behavior is associated
with physical docking states unique to Dell.  Some HP printers have trouble with USB connection states in these cases also.  Having
all those features is much to ask of a Linux utility just intended for basic NIC support.  While you may not need or call on all
this, it's still part of the Dell state space (for models with docking it is; dunno otherwise).

Chuck

---

Buying the right computer and getting it to work properly is no more complicated than
    building a nuclear reactor from wristwatch parts in a darkened room using only your teeth.

                                                                              - Dave Barry (1947 - )