I tried "ethtool eth0" and got "no" for link detected.  I tried "ifconfig eth0" and did NOT get "UP" before "BROADCAST MULTICAST".

Is getting this NIC working a lost cause yet?  Do I need to start looking for a replacement?  Is there a mechanism to wake up a NIC that isn't lighting up the Ethernet light on a DSL modem and cable that still work fine with my desktop?