I have a really screwy issue presenting itself that I believe I have
narrowed down to the firewall but can't imagine why.

A SonicWall firewall is the primary gateway and firewall.  The site is
mostly Windows machines.  I went to add on an el-cheapo whitebox
machine with Ubuntu 9.04 to use for monitoring.  After getting
everything set up and installed, I noticed that my network transfers
were only between 5-10KB/sec no matter where I was pulling from.  I
checked transfer speeds from various Windows machines and they were
all pulling somewhere between 100-200KB/sec.

I tried changing out network cables and putting it into different
ports on the switch.  No luck.  Thinking I screwed myself by buying
the cheapest computer I could find, I installed VMWare Server 2.0 on a
Windows host that was downloading with no problems.  I threw a Debian
5.0 VMWare image in there, set up networking and received the same,
strangely slow transfers.  The weird thing is I can pull the same
Debian package from the same site down on the Windows host faster than
the Debian VM guest.

I've tried raising and lowering MTU with no change.  I poked through
the SonicWall to see if there was any weird filtering go on but they
don't have most of the options licensed even.

Has anyone run into this before?

--
Donovan Niesen