I'm not sure the name of the setting elsewhere, but when I was running a Mac Mini to my tv there was an option called "Overscan" which fit the description of your symptoms.. If it was on, the edges of the desktop were beyond the bounds of the screen.

Kris Browne
kris dot browne at gmail dot com

-- Sent from my Palm Prē
Mike Miller wrote:

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 on AMD64 with Nvidia driver and GeForce 7600 card.

I was using two 1680x1050 monitors, but I dropped the first one and

replaced it with a DVI-to-HDMI cable to my 1920x1080 HDTV.  I'm having a

problem configuring this properly.  I want two separate X screens.  I can

only get it to work with both at 1680x1050.  In fact, if I change the HDTV

setting to be 1920x1080, it reverts to 1680x1050.  If I disable the second

monitor and use only the HDTV and tell it to use 1920x1080, if I get it to

do that (or get both X/Nvidia and the HDTV to say that's what they are

doing), a lot of the desktop is off the edges of the screen and not

visible.

There is something called Xinerama.  If I enable Xinerama, nothing works

(I think I was getting no X) and it tells me that RANDR is not available.

I would greatly appreciate any tips you can share.  Thanks.

Mike

tclug-list at mn-linux.org