On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> I got that Asus EeePC 1005HA and installed Netbook Remix on it.
>

> Somehow, inexplicably, the charger stopped working.  There's a little
> light on the box that won't go on.  I only have about 1.5 hours,
> supposedly, of battery left until I can get a new charger.  Very
> disappointing and annoying.  I've never had a charger die on me, at least
> not until it was maybe 8 years old and been through who-knows-what.

I know this goes somewhat off topic, but with devices like these, you
do get what you pay for.
Studies in long term reliability are showing that some companies are
better than others, but as a whole, the more expensive laptops also
tend to yield a longer life without malfunction.  Not something that
surprises me after owning a couple rather cheap, and a couple rather
expensive notebooks.
Then again, Apple (who despite barely being mentioned in the article,
gets their name in the URL) has had plenty of issues with their power
cords after remarkably short periods of time, despite the fact that
most, if not all of their notebooks being grouped in the "premium"
price group.
http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/
On the other hand, I've never had a positive experience running Linux
on Apple hardware, and the el-cheapo notebooks have provided very good
compatibility and functionality for me there.  Probably due, in part,
to using very common parts, and very little bleeding edge technology
to keep cost down.
- Justin