I got that Asus EeePC 1005HA and installed Netbook Remix on it.  It would
be easy to do it a second time, but if you have never done it, there are a
few things to learn, so it took me awhile.

Here are a couple of cool things about it:  It can read SD cards, so I
pulled the card from my camera, popped it in there and I could instantly
see my photos.  Couldn't have been easier.  The built-in camera worked
instantly using a program called "Cheese".

It has a VGA out, of course, so I hooked it up to my HDTV (1920x1080).
Then I opened "Display" from the Systems menu and it was already
configured just the way I'd want.  Brilliant.

So I used sshfs to connect via WiFi to a machine in the home that has some
DVD ISOs on it and I used VLC to play them onto the HDTV from the Asus
netbook.  It worked and it looked amazingly good.  The audio was going
into the stereo system and that also worked great.  One trick:  If you use
VLC for video, you have to have only one monitor on.  If both are on, it
shows only black.  So to play the DVD ISOs on the HDTV I had to turn off
the laptop display.

For some DVD ISOs the video would hang for a second every minute or so,
but I don't thinkt that was really a problem with the Asus, though it
might have been, I think it was the WiFi connection in the basement to the
router upstairs that caused that.  More research is needed.

I'm going to be hooking up a desktop machine DVD out to the HDMI in on the
HDTV, so I won't be using the laptop much for DVDs in the house.

Mike