> Adam Monsen wrote:
> >> I just want something simple to draw the digrams and represent FK
> >> relationships and types.
> >>

> > Try this:
> > * Create a database schema
> > * Use SchemaSpy to connect to the database and generate a navigable
> Web
> > site describing the schema (including FK relationships, types, etc.)
> >

> Unfortunately that doesn't work for this project. The schema can
change
> based on an XML input file, so I want a few tables to be able to just
> be
> drawn by hand as a template of what they would look like.
>
> > If you really want to draw diagrams by hand, you might try Inkscape,
> > Dia, QCad, or OpenOffice.org Draw.
> >
> Those are all nice drawing programs, but none of them are specific
> enough for databases. I suppose OpenOffice.org Draw is probably the
> closest, but I'd still need to manage the size of the table boxes as I
> add columns.
>
> More specific requirements:
> - be able to represent a table
> - tables can be named
> - tables have a list of columns
> - columns can be linked to each other across tables
> - the table box needs to automatically get larger or smaller as
columns
> are added or removed
> - the tool cannot use an existing database as it's sole input
mechanism
> as some of the tables drawn will be templates.
>
> --

I've actually used OpenOffice Base for this purpose. It has basic
database creation and diagramming functionality.

Bruce

This electronic message including any attachments ("Message") may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under trade secret and other applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, permanently delete all copies of this Message, and be aware that examination, use, dissemination, duplication or disclosure of this Message is strictly prohibited.