Adam Monsen wrote:
>> I just want something simple to draw the digrams and represent FK
>> relationships and types.
>>

> Try this:
> * Create a database schema
> * Use SchemaSpy to connect to the database and generate a navigable Web
> site describing the schema (including FK relationships, types, etc.)

Unfortunately that doesn't work for this project. The schema can change
based on an XML input file, so I want a few tables to be able to just be
drawn by hand as a template of what they would look like.

> If you really want to draw diagrams by hand, you might try Inkscape,
> Dia, QCad, or OpenOffice.org Draw.

Those are all nice drawing programs, but none of them are specific
enough for databases. I suppose OpenOffice.org Draw is probably the
closest, but I'd still need to manage the size of the table boxes as I
add columns.

More specific requirements:
- be able to represent a table
- tables can be named
- tables have a list of columns
- columns can be linked to each other across tables
- the table box needs to automatically get larger or smaller as columns
are added or removed
- the tool cannot use an existing database as it's sole input mechanism
as some of the tables drawn will be templates.

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will
be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ
Jesus our Lord. - Romans 8:38-39