DigiKam is pretty decent for organizing photos.  It uses tags and folders (and
you could also tag them first, then move photos with similar tags into
folders).  I'm using it to organize 20k photos.  It competes with Adobe
Lightroom.

As far as just viewing photos, kuickshow is awesome.  And it's sad the Kubuntu
no longer prefers it as an image viewer.  It loads images fast, and has nice
keyboard shortcuts so you can plow through images.

PgUp/Dn goes to next image, +/- zooms, the number keypad rotates, B/C adjust
brightness or contrast (great for categorizing dark images), etc.  And each of
these operations is fast.

> My grandpa left me a huge stack of mostly unorganized genealogy
> documents. I scanned everything and ended up with 1200 images that I

I'm faced with a similar task: thousands of old photos that need to be scanned
before they go yellow.  What's the best way?

So far, it looks like the best option is using an all-in-one printer that can
scan to a USB thumbdrive or SD card.  You just swap the photos on the glass,
press the button, and repeat.  Not only does this seem faster, it also allows
non-computer-savvy people to be enlisted to help.

The other option, for when you really have too many photos to scan, is the
'use your digital camera' approach.  A photo of a photo results in a loss of
image quality, depending on how you set up a tripod and lighting, but it's
about 50 times faster than some scanning methods (and really makes me wonder
why scanners don't have 10MP sensors like cameras).

But I'm interested in better methods too.

Jeremy