Eric Peterson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to convince certain people in our company that we need to
> normalize some (maybe all) of our database to 1NF. I'm trying to avoid
> situations where we need to make database schema and code updates to
> add a 2nd phone number to a user in the system as an example.

If there was a 'user' table, you'd add a duplicate record with just the
phone number field different? Sounds messy.
> They want evidence that such a database is better and that's it's not
> too complicated to understand.

It's better because it's less work to maintain and less work to make
sure some data you're updating/removing doesn't get outdated. It's not
more complicated conceptually for 1NF, just can be more tables to work with.
> Does anyone have any resources or projects (oss) that I can present to
> help convince them?
Almost anything that uses a traditional database - as I work with the
database every day, I can say the Moodle course management system fits 1NF
> Also looking for some examples or documentation
> that would help us design our system and avoid some common problems?

Get a book (or find some articles) on database design - the common
problems are well documented and can be derived from understanding the
normal forms.