On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM, swede<danyberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Monticello is getting a fiber optic network installed throughout the city
> and my church is going to be one of the first places hooked up to it..  I
> have been asked to set up the network (sadly I am the most qualified, it is
> a small church) in the building that houses 2 apartments and the office,
> along with a separate wireless connection.
>   So far the plan is to have an IPCop machine just after the connection to
> the fiber and that will be connected to a switch with separate cabling to
> each apartment and office.  I am looking for the best way to keep of these 4
> secure from each other.
>
> This was short notice and is my first attempt at setting up anything other a
> home network, so any other ideas for the layout would be appreciated.

If security is your concern, you want to take the switch out of the
equation (unless it's a smart/managed switch) and add more interfaces
to the IPCop router (one for each of the 4 places that need to be kept
separated).  You will then assign different subnets to each of these,
and set up rules in the firewall about what can happen between them.
I'm not familiar with IPCop, so can't give any specifics on that step.
 Note that if the router is also acting as the DHCP server you'll have
to set that up to give out different ranges on each port.

Tony Yarusso
http://tonyyarusso.com/