I challenged myself to run some other distros earlier this year, and after
using openSUSE for a month or two, I then switched to Fedora for the last
couple of months.  I was really impressed with Fedora 11 after running the
Beta & RC.

I was running the default version (GNOME), and it's come a long way since I
had last used it in 2004 before switching to Ubuntu for a couple of years.

I can't speak to its performance in a VM, but on my Lenovo T61 it was quite
responsive.  I'd highly recommend it.

Paul