On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Shawn Fertch wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Tom Penney <tpenney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> One of our 4 machines lost a drive during the incident. Lots of admin
>> were there when I arrived having other hardware issues. this is the
>> second time in 4 years that power has gone out to our rack. Aside from
>> that, visi has been great, but this is not good. does anyone colo at IP
>> house?
>
> If this is a one time occurrence, I would be inclined to let it slide
> while noting it for future reference.  If this has occurred multiple
> times already, then I would inquire about going elsewhere.  Also, be
> aware that if a facility loses power, it's not always a result of them.
> Look back to downtown Saint Paul in 2001 with the flooding.

Also, if someone were to go elsewhere seeking a flawless power supply
system, how would they know that what they are getting into was really
better than what they left behind?  A perfect record isn't that great of a
guarantee if you are trying to avoid losing one hour in five years (almost
five nines), say.  So I think you really have to know a lot about
electrical systems and what different providers are doing before you can
really be confident about what you are getting into.  It is all beyond me,
but the letter from the IPhouse guy made me feel like he at least knows
what he is doing (I don't know them or anyone who works for them), but
maybe that is true of all colo providers.

Mike