More significantly, did they actually know anything first hand, or were they just Microsoft and Apple droids?

Palm OS was in the first smartphones, and all I've had have allowed use as a modem for getting unlimited internet access for my
laptop at no extra charge (but it's a loophole).  Sprint coverage when doing business travel in the USA is hard to beat.  Some other
brands have not even had towers in many states when their plans and first-level helpers would swear they did.  For me, my Palm OS
based smartphone is cheap, ain't broke, and does nearly everything... plus some stuff I can't get from Mickeysoft or the fruit
house.  I've gone from 1G to 3G in the last ten years of service and can get a replacement phone for about $25 if I bust one (not
easy, but I've done it).

Chuck