On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Bob De Mars wrote:

> I mentioned the pre to various users here that use diverse handhelds.
> Every single one had something negative to say about Palm.

But what did they have to say?

I had problems with Palm (or was it Handspring at that time?) when I was
buying the Treo 270 and Treo 300.  They kept sending me things that were
refurbished and one didn't work *at* *all* out of the box -- it wouldn't
even power up.  Then they sent me a brand-new one and acted like they were
doing me a favor.  Why?  I had just paid for a brand new one and it didn't
work!  They should send me another brand new one to replace it.  But that
was 7 years ago.  I think they were having trouble meeting demand at the
time.

Then I got the Treo 600 and had no problems for 5.5 years, and the battery
is still strong.  I'm giving it to my son next weekend.

It seems like reviews of the Pre are uniformly strongly positive.  I like
it so far but it is not perfect.  Once it failed to take a charge until
restarted.  Another time it spontaneously rebooted in the middle of
something I was doing (playing a ringtone in their list of ringtones).  I
forgot to charge it last night and it was almost dead in the morning.
Despite these problems, none of which really hurt me and all of which are
surmountable (except for spontaneous rebooting, but I don't now how often
that will happen), I give the device a big thumbs up.  It's a really cool
little computer/phone -- it looks great, feels great, and it does a lot of
cool stuff right now without the huge number of apps we expect to see
soon.

Mike