Not to be a conspiracy theorists but it seems Comcast sometimes sells the
high speed bit to assuage people from the other not-so-nice things they do
from time to time. Here is a recent report (now with an update that it's no
longer happening) about DNS interception by Comcast.

http://comcastisfuckingwithyourport53traffic.wordpress.com/

Also there are ways for Comcast to very easily uncap traffic to the
bandwidth speed test sites to make it look better than it really is (not
saying they are doing this, I don't use Comcast). Similar to another that
had posted is a better means to test real bandwidth would be to transfer
several large files at the same time and combine the transfer rate of all to
get your best reading on actual throughput performance with the expectation
that the remote side(s) is/are not under load during your test.

There are tons (probably not as many tons as a few years ago) of DSL ISPs in
the area that can handle Qwest DSL lines.

This is not in Fridley but Richfield (and possibly St Louis Park soon after)
are going to be going thru some fiber to the home (FTTH) pilots in the near
future.

Get the triple play service over fiber directly to your home, could be
pretty awesome.

  _____