I got the new Palm Pre when it came out on Saturday.  As luck would have
it, my wife's phone failed, so we had to get another Sprint phone to
replace it, so I found out about the Pre and got one for her and another
for me.  Before the Pre I was using the Treo 600 for 5.5 years and it
still worked great.  The Pre is taking things to a much higher level
though:  multitouch 320x480 display with 24-bit color, WiFi, EVDO,
Bluetooth, a keypad, beautiful small design, very nice apps and a new OS
called "Palm webOS" that allows developers to use HTML, CSS and JavaScript
(so expect a lot of apps to come out soon).

Anyway, I don't work for Palm or Spring or know anyone who does.  So far I
like this product though.  One bad thing -- it sometimes refuses to take a
charge, it doesn't warn about this, and you have to restart it to fix the
problem.  I don't know how often that happens, but it happened to me and
to another guy who attended a training seminar with me (and about 15
attending).

The new webOS is not Free Software, but I guess it has some Linux inside
and thus free components.  I am interested in using the Pre to connect to
Linux boxes via SSH.  If you see an app that can do this, let me know.
Apparently the Pre can run old PalmOS software using an API called
"Classic" (which costs $30, but I think I need it):

http://www.motionapps.com/classic/

The truth is, I really wanted to start doing something with OpenMoko, but
every time I checked, they seemed to be way behind and not really ready
for me.  I'll be keeping my eye on them.

Feel free to write to me off of the list if you are using one of these Pre
phones or are interested in them.  It would be fun to hear from local
users.

Mike