By the way, I think the Pre came out now because it is almost the two-year
anniversary of the release of the iPhone, so the 2-year contracts are
ending and iPhone users are free to leave their AT&T contracts for Sprint,
if they want to do that.  Unfortunately, the Pre would have had a few more
neat software features (e.g., better contact management) if they'd had a
little more time, but they were in a mad rush to get it out.  That's my
theory.

The first iPhone came out on June 29, 2007.  The 3G S comes out on June
19, 2009.  The schedule obviously is governed by the contract period.

Mike