On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Chris Barber wrote:

> Doesn't take long for this thread to grow like wild fire.  Inlined...

It's a good topic.  People who don't like it can delete it.  Mostly it is
about software and hardware design issues for handheld devices.

> I am unable to easily slide open the phone, navigate to the phone app,
> find a contact, and call them using one hand while driving.

I think the "slide open the phone" with one hand (to reveal the keypad?)
is hard.  Finding a contact is a mess right now.  The old Treo method
where you type the initials is pretty great, and they should bring that
back.  I don't know what they are thinking.  Thanks for pointing that out.

> The iPhone allows you to define "favorites" and then it's a simple click
> and it's dialing.  I search the Pre for a way to bind a contact to a
> number, but couldn't find a way and besides that solution sucks since I
> need to memorize who "1" is linked to.  The main contact list on the
> iPhone is also nice since it lists just names, no numbers, you click a
> name, then pick which number you want (i.e. work, mobile, home, etc).
> The iPhones contact list also has a quick scroll area on the right side
> that is basically a vertical bar of each letter in the alphabet and you
> can scroll with it to get all the way down to the bottom real quickly.

There is a problem with the way things are organized on the Pre.  It has
to create some kind of folder/directory system for hierarchicaly
organizing stuff.  With contacts, all contacts were labeled as being a
certain type on PalmOS and you could add types.  Where is that now?  It
would be nice to have.  The speed dial I used to have also is missing.
You are right -- having to remember the number is the wrong way to go.
It works for maybe 4 numbers and then you'll start forgetting which is
which.  They have to fix this.

> Yup, I figured that one out, but still annoying.  Design-wise, putting a
> connector on the bottom would be challenging, but they could have
> engineered a better connector cover.

When I figured out that *that* was the connector cover, I could hardly
believe it -- how do you get it off?  You'd better not cut your nails too
short!

>> That is very bad, but what does "updated the phone" mean?  Is there an
>> update for the software already?  It's been out for two days.
>
> Yup, there's already an update for the Pre.  It's a pretty big download
> as I recall, but the upgrade went smooth.

Yes, 67 MB, but it ws pretty fast with the WiFi in my house.  Then it took
about 10 minutes of downtime to get the installation done.  I guess it
fixed dome bugs and it gave me a clock, a really, really weird looking
clock in the analog mode.

>>> - No visual voicemail.  Calling up and hearing "1 new voicemail
>>> message" from some number that I haven't memorized is worthless.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand this.  This is a Sprint problem, no?  Do you
>> mean that Sprint's voicemail won't tell you the name of the caller?
>
> If you've never used an iPhone or never heard of Visual Voicemail, it's
> totally awesome.  It downloads and lists all voicemails and who the call
> is from.  Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqnhm8yfTqM

Oh.  Yes, that is nice and no, I guess Sprint/Pre doesn't have that.  My
guess is that's more of an ATT v. Sprint difference but maybe not.

>> Weird.  I'm not understanding this aspect of their design.  If the
>> phone list is different from the contacts list, how is the phone list
>> generated and edited?  How do I control it?
>
> I just found out that if you're in the phone app, dial the number, you
> can add a contact based on the number.  The iPhone's contact list is
> accessibly only through the phone app.  The Pre's phone app only lists
> contacts, there's a separate contacts app for managing them.  Basically
> this is a training issue.

Right.  I also found that tonight.  We've only had these things for two
days!

> I don't know if it will be a problem... I don't know if I talk to AT&T
> first, then Sprint, or vice versa.  Yes, there's a 30 day return policy.
> Probably a restocking fee too.  I did port my number, I just don't want
> lose it when I port it back.  I'm sure it's not an issue, but I'll have
> to sort it out with them first.

It's a pain switching around, but I have to think that you can keep your
number.  There is some kind of law protecting that for you -- it was
probably an antitrust issue.

Mike