On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Robert De Mars
<tclug at b-o-b.homelinux.com> wrote:
> I was curious if anyone knew of a good how to that explains the steps
> for moving an existing non-raid system to a RAID 1 setup.
>
> The system currently has an 80G hard drive running Slackware 12.1.
>
> I would like to move the file system from the 80G hard drive to a RAID 1
> setup using 2 x 500G drives, and then toss the 80G in the trash.
>
> If any one knows of a document(s), I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Hi Robert,
I'd suggest that using some live CD (GParted:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php), you copy your existing
partitions from the old drive to one of the new ones.

Then boot from the new drive, and follow these instructions to convert
to RAID 1 on the fly (debian article):
http://www.ctunion.com/node/178

Cheers

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.