> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 03:20:08PM -0600, swede wrote:
> > I Cannot boot my Fedora 8 computer, the entire drive is in read-only mode
> and
>
> Is boot up detecting drive errors?  Does it get to a point where its asking
> for the root user to log in and run fsck?  If so, it does mount root as read
> only.
>
> > trying the rescue disk gets an error and only mounts a couple
> directories.
>
> Sounds like harddrive errors.  I hear Spinrite does wonders, though its not
> free.  (http://grc.com)
>

> > I'm pretty sure it's because I changed my smartd.conf but I can't get to
> it to
> > change it back now.
>
> Don't know why that would have anything to do with it.  A rescue disk would
> not be reading any smartd config info.  Or do you mean you messed with
> hdparm settings?  I suppose that might potentially muck up a drive.
>
> ~jh

> The HD errors are a possibility.  But I don't think so at this point.

When I edited the smartd.conf to get rid of an error that showed up in my
log files but otherwise made no difference I think I goofed.  I have
ordinary IDE drives, but Fedora called them SATA drives as in /dev/sda
instead of /dev/hda so I changed one line in the smartd.conf from /dev/hda
to /dev/sda.  I'm not sure but I think now that Fedora thought I now had a
SCSI drive there.  Now the data is gone and I'm just trying to get F10 to
install...  However, due to all the problems I'm running into getting it to
install, I'm guessing I  may have other hardware issues but I have not been
able to track them down yet.

But so far the drive has been reformatted during a new install of F8.  Some
issues seem to be around my nvidia geforce 6200 OC video card.

Thanks for all the other info I got that was off the list for some reason.