On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 03:20:08PM -0600, swede wrote:
> I Cannot boot my Fedora 8 computer, the entire drive is in read-only mode and

Is boot up detecting drive errors?  Does it get to a point where its asking for the root user to log in and run fsck?  If so, it does mount root as read only.

Sounds like harddrive errors.  I hear Spinrite does wonders, though its not free.  (http://grc.com)

> I'm pretty sure it's because I changed my smartd.conf but I can't get to it to
> change it back now.

Don't know why that would have anything to do with it.  A rescue disk would not be reading any smartd config info.  Or do you mean you messed with hdparm settings?  I suppose that might potentially muck up a drive.

~jh