On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Eric F Crist wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2009, at 13:29:25, Robert Nesius wrote:
>
>> This prompted me to do a little digging.  For attwireless folks the
>> first 160 characters of emails sent to the following address will be
>> sent as an SMS text...
>>
>> <10-digit-number>@txt.att.net.
>
> Most providers have an email to SMS gateway.  There are lists all over.
> T-Mobile does <phone#>@tmomail.net and I know both verizon and sprint
> have similar gateways.

My carrier is Sprint, and this is how it works:

<10-digit-number>@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Two things to note:  I receive only 126 or 127 characters when I send from
my gmail address.  The subject is counted among those characters, and that
includes "Subject: ", so you can send more if you have no subject at all.
I wonder if the "From:" field or the "To:" field are being counted and
that is why I only get 126 characters.  I seem to be coming up about 30
characters short of what they promised.

Mike