This is odd - if configured correctly, the camera should just appear
as a standard usb mass storage device (/dev/sdb1 or something
similar). I seem to remember a few Canons I've had having two options
in their usb setup. If one option was selected, it showed up as a mass
storage device and the second, it showed up as, well, something else
(I can't recall atm). Poke around in the camera's menu system to see
if you cand find anything like this.

What does dmesg say when you connect the device? That should tell you
what type of usb device it's presenting itself as. Also, depending on
how the device identifies itself when connected, you may be able to
create a persistent udev rule so that it always assigns the same
device node.

-Erik