My camera is made by Canon.  It seems like most devices are easier to work
with than this.  Both on Windows and Ubuntu the camera is somewhat hidden
when I attach it to the USB port.  I did find the mount point here:

~/.gvfs/gphoto2 mount on usb%3A001,004/

With the JPEG files in this subdirectory:

~/.gvfs/gphoto2 mount on usb%3A001,004/DCIM/100CANON

The annoying thing is that every time I attach the camera it increments
the number at the end of the directory name, like so:

~/.gvfs/gphoto2 mount on usb%3A001,004/
~/.gvfs/gphoto2 mount on usb%3A001,005/
~/.gvfs/gphoto2 mount on usb%3A001,006/
~/.gvfs/gphoto2 mount on usb%3A001,007/

To me this looks like a pointless annoyance that almost certainly is
caused by some kind of software in the camera.  It would be nice if I
could make it always be the same mount point.  Any ideas?

Otherwise, I guess this will always work to copy the files into the
default directory:

cp -p ~/.gvfs/gphoto2*/DCIM/100CANON/*.{JPG,AVI} .

I could write a little script or alias for that.  I haven't bothered to
look into the f-spot program that Ubuntu wants to automatically handle the
photos.  Anyone using that and liking it?

Best,
Mike