On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:39 AM, David S. Cargo <escargo at skypoint.com> wrote:

> I have a HP LaserJet 5P (gotten for free), that has started getting
> old and cranky (instead of just old).  There a dark bands where toner
> goes where it isn't supposed to and now the paper won't feed from its
> paper cassette tray.  Can anybody recommend a local printer repair
> place that works with antiques?

Plenty of places will work on it, but labor alone will cost you $100
easy.  Not worth it.

These days I like the business class inkjets.  Faster, and depending
on model, sometimes cheaper per page than laserjets.

I picked up a HP business class something or other with a built in
network card, two trays, and a duplexer for ~$150 new.  I've had it
for over a year, haven't replaced a cartridge yet.  Photo printing is
a bit iffy, I've seen better inkets but the network + business grade
internals made it a good buy.

Oh, and linux support, can't beat it.  Give CUPS the IP, and magic happens.

Brian