From: Andy Schmid [mailto:andyschmid at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:33 PM
To: Bob De Mars
Cc: tclug-list
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] OT: Domain Register

Just curious, why don't you like godaddy?

I think I'm over it now.  When the former co-worker of mine setup all the companies domains he registered them personally to himself, and activated their protected registration.  Even though I had a valid login to our account @ godaddy, I was unable to make any changes to the domains.  I made contact many times to have my former co-worker removed, and they made me go through a bunch of legal mubo jumbo (which by the way caused an infinite loop for several months that I could not 'break' from).  Basically I had to make contact with the former co-worker & have him fillout a hand full of paperwork that would release the domains protected status.  This of course was met with a simple "F-U" followed by a "Click".

It was frustrating.  Once the process of starting the removal process started I could only contact godaddy via email.  Godaddy would request info, I would sent it, godaddy would request info, I would send it, godaddy would request info, I would sent it, godaddy would request info, I would sent it godaddy would request info, I would sent it godaddy would request info, I would sent it godaddy would request info, I would sent it godaddy would request info, I would sent it godaddy would request info, I would sent it until finally "No information has been submitted in the required 60 day time frame.  This case is closed & all documents have been shredded"  Arrrrhhhhhh!!!!!

I finally have had this issue resolved as of yesterday.  I started the process on 29 July 08.  I guess I'm over it now.

Thanks to all for the many responses!

Bob

I've registered a few domains through them and have been completely satisfied.  Its true, all the extras they push on you can get a bit annoying, but I've never been charged for anything I didn't order.  For how cheap their domain registration is, I can look past all the extra crap they try to get you to purchase.

As for an alternative, the only other site I really know about is register.com.  I have no personal experience with them though.

-Andy