NetworkSolutions.com is rated #1 by the wiki
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_ranking_domain_registrars).

Otherwise, I currently hold 2 domains with godaddy. You are both right,
their site is more overcrowded with advertisements than Barak Obama's
inauguration. Luckily as I said I only own 2 and only have to visit
their site once every five years which sure makes it difficult to
remember my passwords from five years back.

I would probably take a look at a few of the sites listed in the wiki
link and find something that isn't trying to ram add ons down your
throat and somebody who only does domain registrations (no hosting,
mail, etc) as they are the kings of the crop.

Good luck!

~Andrew