I've had problems with properly rated splitters that seemed to fade or actually die with age somewhere over 5 years.  These were in
my garage (seldom/never as low as +25F) so they saw some temperature cycling.  New spliiters solved the problem.  Cable modem had
signal dropouts due to marginal signal until I replaced the old splitters.  Fortunately, my townhome has most cable runs brought
back to a splitter placed by my power entrance panel in the garage, so there are only two 2-port splitters hidden elsewhere in the
house and all except bathrooms have cable access (and adequate cable modem signal level).

Chuck