On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:51:38PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Apr 2009, ecrist at secure-computing.net wrote:
>
> > SFTP doesn't require a real shell.  With mysql or LDAP back ends, you
> > don't need to put the user entries in the password file.  I'd recommend
> > using your standard password file and set the shell to /nonexistent or
> > scponly (there's a package for that one).
>
> What does it mean to use "mysql or LDAP back ends" for sftp?  When a
> connection comes to port 22, then what happens?  I'm asking because I
> don't know.  I would assume there is a username/password kind of exchange
> and a connection is made.

'back end' in this context means the process which authenticates the
user.  By default the users are authenticated against PAM which by
default is configured to use /etc/passwd + /etc/shadow.  You can
either configure PAM to use MySQL or LDAP to store the passwords, or
you can configure the FTP daemon itself to use MySQL or LDAP for
passwords.

> Is the sftp/mysql scheme better than using secure http so that users can
> connect using a web browser?

From the usability perspective?  It depends if you can afford a real
certificate or not.  If you use a self-signed certificate with Firefox
you might scare the less sophisticated users away.  But overall I say
the web application will be more user friendly and easier to deploy.
The end-users don't need to install and update any client application.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163