On Mon, 6 Apr 2009, ecrist at secure-computing.net wrote:

> SFTP doesn't require a real shell.  With mysql or LDAP back ends, you
> don't need to put the user entries in the password file.  I'd recommend
> using your standard password file and set the shell to /nonexistent or
> scponly (there's a package for that one).

What does it mean to use "mysql or LDAP back ends" for sftp?  When a
connection comes to port 22, then what happens?  I'm asking because I
don't know.  I would assume there is a username/password kind of exchange
and a connection is made.

Is the sftp/mysql scheme better than using secure http so that users can
connect using a web browser?

Mike