From: Mike Miller [mailto:mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 5:34 PM
To: Justin Krejci
Cc: TCLUG List
Subject: RE: [tclug-list] Richard Stallman Talking on UofM Campus 21 October

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Justin Krejci wrote:

> RMS believes non-free software is evil. You can look up his definition
> of non-free on your own if you are not familiar with it. He started the
> thread with a "I cannot endorse OpenBSD as a recommended OS to people
> because it contains non-free software".

Google cannot find that quotation anywhere on the web.  Are you sure you
have it right?  It looks like this might be the start of the thread you
are thinking of:

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/openbsd-misc/2007/12/10/486713

In that thread Stallman wrote "It looks like some people are having a
discussion in which they construct views they would find outrageous,
attribute them to me, and then try to blame me for them."  He does go on
to say this...

    From what I have heard, OpenBSD does not contain non-free software
    (though I am not sure whether it contains any non-free firmware blobs).
    However, its ports system does suggest non-free programs, or at least
    so I was told when I looked for some BSD variant that I could
    recommend.  I therefore exercise my freedom of speech by not including
    OpenBSD in the list of systems that I recommend to the public.

...which is a different view than the one you attribute to him above.
Can you document the source for your quote above?

Mike