On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Brian D. Ropers-Huilman wrote:

> http://www.msse.umn.edu/events/Richard-Stallman-Free-Software-Movement-and-GNULin
>
> Richard Stallman: The Free Software Movement and the GNU/Linux Operating System
> Date of Event: Tue, 10/21/2008 18:30
> Location: Willey Hall 175, West Bank campus

This is great news.  He is one of my heroes.

I hear a lot of negative talk about him -- he's "a smelly hippy" or he
exaggerates the importance of GNU as opposed to Linux, or we shouldn't use
the term "GNU/Linux".  I find very little merit in any of those claims and
there is usually a lot of anger behind them.  I'm not sure why.

One thing is for certain: Richard Stallman has been a relentless advocate
for an idea that is changing the world in a very positive way.  Free
software licensing (Stallman's contribution) combined with the internet
for distribution and the widespread availability of GNU/Linux OS on PCs is
making amazing things happen, even in developing countries.  Stallman
wrote a lot of code, but many thousands of others have contributed.
Stallman's genius was to be the source for all that followed -- the Itasca
of the Free Software / Open Source movement, and he will always have my
admiration.

Mike