> Any reason not to use an USB barcode scanner?  They are support the
> HID profiles, in fact they look like keyboards.  The operator needs to
> select the right field on the form, highlight the barcode and press
> the triger - the code 'magically' appears in the input field.

You stated the reason not to do so: the operator needs to select the right
field. The ideal situation would be a scanner that had a wireless connection
to the computer (RF, bluetooth, whatever) back to the computer, not a wired
device. The barcodes being scanned won't be right next to the computer.

My understanding is that USB barcode scanners can work in Wedge mode or
RS232 mode.

The alternative is a barcode scanner in wedge mode that can send a command
sequence (Ctrl+Shift+F12+wave rubber chicken) that the window manger
(sawfish currently) can be configured to grab, run a command, and pass the
input string along. Monitoring RS232 and taking action that way seemed like
it would reliable than intercepting key strokes or hoping that the user put
the curson in the correct field.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com