On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 05:32:50PM -0500, Andrew Zbikowski wrote:
> I'm currently dealing with a number of Linux Web Kiosks who's sole function
> is data input into our company's ERP system. They simply run Mozilla full
> screen. These stations have served us well for nearly 5 years now, but new
> processes are starting to appear in the plant. One is barcode tracking of
> inventory as it moves through the plant. Of course, cost comes into play so
> IT is challenged with figuring out how to go about getting a barcode reader
> working with the existing kiosks for the new tracking stuff.

Any reason not to use an USB barcode scanner?  They are support the
HID profiles, in fact they look like keyboards.  The operator needs to
select the right field on the form, highlight the barcode and press
the triger - the code 'magically' appears in the input field.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163