I was curious to see whether there's a reference for "target audience" so I did two Google searches:

 Google: compare Linux distributions     had two good responses, but little on "target audience":
        A Linux Distribution Comparison Matrix  www.devx.com/opensource/Article/30781
        Comparison of Linux distributions   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions

Google:  target audience for Linux distributions   had many interesting responses

Linus Torvald's O'Reilly interview comments were interesting, but not very inclusive
      http://news.oreilly.com/2008/07/linux-torvalds-on-linux-distri.html

Linux-distribution - SWiK (good, but short notes)   http://swik.net/Linux-distribution

I got tired of looking for better "target audience" characterizations, but found interesting tidbits and more questions to ask.

1) does MythTV "do better" in the MythDora distro than MythTV does in Ubuntu?
    a) what is "better"?
    b) is support for the Adaptec AVC-3610 (or other tuners, etc) any better in MythDora than MythTV itself?

2) what distro is "best" for scientific or engineering desktop applications?  Anything "better" than Ubuntu for this?
       Anybody doing or interested in Verilog-AMS or VHDL-AMS or optical design?

Chuck