On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 03:33:40PM -0500, Shawn Fertch wrote:
>    Let's say I have a $5,000 deductible on my HSA plan.  This means that I
>    have a $5K HSA deposit limit.  You can either deposit the money and use it
>    to pay for medical expenses.  Or, you can deposit it and pay for your
>    medical expenses out of pocket to take advantage of the HSA deposit as
>    well as the medical deductions.  Which of those two options gives you the
>    best tax write off?

As of 2007 the rule was changed and your deductible no longer has
anything to do with your HSA contribution limits [1].

Also, I don't believe medical expenses are deductible for most people.
I know they have never been for me, because they have to be greater than
7.5% of your AGI, or some similar formula, before any of it is
deductible [2].  (perhaps exceptions exist, but I have never been able
to take advantage)

Dan

[1] http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/public-affairs/hsa/pdf/n-08-52.pdf
[2] http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html