On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 09:33:30AM -0500, James wrote:
> Currently I am running CentOS 5 on a Dell Poweredge 2400 with 4 18gig drives
> in a raid 5 configuration and 2 9gig drives setup as a mirror. I just
> purchases 4 36gig drives so my question is if there's a way to move the
> operating system with a tape backup. Some sort of live recovery process?

If you can add the new drives to your system (maybe you need an
additional SCSI/SAS card) you could boot the old system in single user
mode, then manually create the partitions and copy everything over
using "cp -ax".  I did that many times.  Tapes are really small and
slow, or really expensive.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163