Sunny wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:
>
>>> Use post-commit hooks in your svn repository to push the changes to
>>> the servers. That way, changes will propagate only if they are
>>> committed in the repo.
>>>

>> That's a good way to kick the script off, but doesn't handle the case
>> where someone modifies the server and not the repository, which is where
>> the problem is right now.
>>

> I would consider this a bad practice, if someone is doing changes on
> the server directly, without testing it first somewhere else. And if
> the changes are made on a test server, it should not be one of the
> servers to which the post-commit writes. I.e. if you have tested
> changes, and they are uploaded - the changes propagate. If nothing is
> uploaded, nothing is written to the servers. So, there is no chance to
> overwrite the changes, if they are not committed.

Yes, that would be great, but we don't have test servers. We're an R&D
shop so we can handle some mistakes and save money on servers. Best
practice would be to have a separate set of servers for testing and
production, but we've decided we can handle the risk. So when we're
testing admin scripts and configurations we do it on the real server to
make sure it works right and then commit it to the repository. We do
much of the testing on our workstations, but at some point it needs to
be tested on the real server.

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will
be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ
Jesus our Lord. - Romans 8:38-39