On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM, John Gateley <tclug at jfoo.org> wrote:

> This is somewhat off topic, though I'm sure there's a few
> consultants on this list that have already faced this issue.
>
> What's a good way to get health insurance as an individual
> consultant? I've seen ehealthinsurance.com and talked directly
> to a couple of companies. I'm looking for a way to join a
> group and so get lower rates...

Look into some of the small business organizations as they may have
something.  I don't have any specifics to give you at the moment.  But,
there are a lot of websites out there on this.

Word of caution:  Be EXTREMELY cautious on the health insurance companies
you decide to deal with and how you apply.  Many companies will take your
money with your application without even looking it over.  Then, as soon as
you make one claim such as a routine Dr's visit (check-up or physical),
they're all over you because you're costing them money.

Do some further research before applying for any health insurance plans.
Pay particular attention to their policies, customer complaints, and if they
are under investigation by the state.  Finally, don't be surprised to see
that many insurance companies are reported and under investigation for
rescinding policies (which happened to me).

--
-Shawn