Check out their bargain bin specials: http://xlhost.com/bargainbin.php  It
looks like they still have a couple left for 59.99 a month.  I wouldn't be
too worried about the bandwith, they provide some bandwith monitoring tools,
and buying an extra TB of bandwith a month isn't the end of the world if its
needed ($50 extra, not as outrageous as some companies charge).

I assume I get to have root permissions on my leased box.

You get complete root access to the machine, and for the most part they
don't care what you do with it (read the fine print for restrictions).

I've looked around quite a bit for hosting services, and this has been one
of the better deals for what you get, and their service has always been
outstanding.