> If it were me, I'd just do a restore from my backups.
> ---
> Eric Crist

And on that note, a song! (I think someone posted it to TCLUG years ago.)

To the tune of "If You're Happy and You Know it:"

If you can't afford to lose it back it up.
*clap*clap*clap*
If you can't afford to lose it back it up.
*clap*clap*clap*
If you can't afford to lose it
Then there's no way to excuse it
If you can't afford to lose it back it up.
*clap*clap*clap*

As the system is spanning over two drives with no redundance you've
already doubled your risk of catastrophic disk failure.

If you don't have a backup:
- Did you take this opportunity to create a backup of any remaining
critical data before you try and recover? If not, there's no time like
the present. We'll wait.

- Do you have a similar system you could copy the missing var files from?
- Can you install a similar system that you could copy the missing var
files from?
- Can most of /var be restored from the original install media?
- Last resort: Reinstall and then restore the critical data that you
backed up above.

If it was really critical data that was lost without a backup, Kroll
Ontrack in Eden Prairie might be able to recover data, but you'll
learn just how valuable your data is. ($600-$3000 for a single drive,
possibly more for a spanning set such as yours.)

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com