On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Raymond Norton <admin at lctn.org> wrote:
> I am not getting any answers to this on the VLC forum. Hoping there is
> someone else on this list that has a solution. I am trying to transcode an
> avi file to a wmv file that wmp  can play. I'm using Ubuntu 1.7.10. , and
> installed vlc via apt.  When I attempt to transcode the avi file I get the
> following error:
>
> ffmpeg error: cannot find encoder MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3
> stream_out_transcode error: cannot find encoder ((null))
> main debug: removing module "mpeg_audio"
> stream_out_transcode error: cannot create audio chain
> main error: cannot create packetizer output (mpga)
>
> So, I get video, but no audio. I transcoded the same file on a vista box,
> and it worked perfectly. From all the googling around it seems Ubuntu's
> version of vlc may not have mp3 encoding capabilities built into it because
> of licensing issues.
>
> I rebuilt ffmpeg to include lamemp3, and was able to convert the avi to wmv
> via the command line, but could not get it to work via vlc, so I uninstalled
> vlc and reinstalled via src, thinking I configured it correctly, but in the
> end, it performed worse than the standard install.
>
> Hoping someone knows the proper ./configure options so I can get this to
> work, or is aware of another way to fix the problem.

AFAIK WMP is perfectly capable to play avi containers. It's what's
inside the container, which may cause you a problem. So, the real
question is - what codec do you try to use to encode your video and
audio. Obviously you try to use mp3 as audio codec, which is not
included with the Ubuntu's vlc. Then try mencoder or transcode to do
the job, or try with other codec - can't you use wma? What is the
original audio codec used in the avi? If it is mp3, try using copy of
the audio stream (not transcoding) and transcode only the video.

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.