I am not getting any answers to this on the VLC forum. Hoping there is someone else on this list that has a solution. I am trying to transcode an avi file to a wmv file that wmp can play. I'm using Ubuntu 1.7.10. , and installed vlc via apt. When I attempt to transcode the avi file I get the following error:

ffmpeg error: cannot find encoder MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3
stream_out_transcode error: cannot find encoder ((null))
main debug: removing module "mpeg_audio"
stream_out_transcode error: cannot create audio chain
main error: cannot create packetizer output (mpga)

So, I get video, but no audio. I transcoded the same file on a vista box, and it worked perfectly. From all the googling around it seems Ubuntu's version of vlc may not have mp3 encoding capabilities built into it because of licensing issues.

I rebuilt ffmpeg to include lamemp3, and was able to convert the avi to wmv via the command line, but could not get it to work via vlc, so I uninstalled vlc and reinstalled via src, thinking I configured it correctly, but in the end, it performed worse than the standard install.

Hoping someone knows the proper ./configure options so I can get this to work, or is aware of another way to fix the problem.

--
Raymond Norton
LCTN