On May 30, 2008, at 9:09 AM, Robert De Mars wrote:

> Chris Barber writes:
>
>> Nope, use all 6 disks in the RAID 1+0.  That way you get more
>> throughput.  I like things easy, so I would just create a root
>> partition
>> that eats up almost all of the space, then a second small (2GB) swap
>> area.  That way you don't have to worry about running out of disk
>> space
>> if you make a particular partition too small.
>>
>> -Chris
>>

> Forgive me for asking so many questions, but I am still a virgin to
> RAID,
> and this is going to be my first RAID setup.
>
> OK, My new server is going to have 6 drives.  I am going to go with
> RAID10.
>
> For the first part (raid 1), do I want to make two or three sets.
> For Example, do I want to make drive 1+2, 3+4, 5+6 RAID 1, or can I
> do 1+2+3
> & 4+5+6 as RAID 1.  What do you think is best.
>
> Then for the second part (raid 0), I guess that depends on how the
> raid 1
> was setup.
>
> Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I'd do whatever makes it easiest to service from the front of the
system.  It's a pain if you've got one array that jumps around
*physically* on the front of the box.  In other words, if the drive
setup is two rows of three drives, I'd do one stripe on all three
drives across the top and the second stripe across all three drives
along the bottom.  Odds are, this is going to be 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 as
your stripes.  If, however, you've got a box where all the drives
stand on their edge in one single row, I'd recommend 1,2,3 as one
stripe and 4,5,6 as the second.

Does this answer your question?
-----
Eric F Crist