On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 01:43:52PM -0500, Jon Schewe wrote:
> I'm looking at trying maildir to get some extra performance and to be
> able to have nested folders. However I'm on a system that has a number
> of users and I don't want to mess up their mail while I'm testing this.
> All of my mail is filtered through procmail (called by postfix) using my
> own .procmailrc and I'm wondering if it's possible to have just my mail
> put in maildir format by procmail, while everyone else's mail stays in
> mbox format?

The difference is in the procmail recipe: if the destination ends with
a / then it's treated as a maildir.  If you have separate recipes for
users, it is trivial to modify yours however you want, without
impacting anybody else.

> Also will I need to run a separate IMAP server for myself to be able to
> access these mailboxes, while others still use mbox?

Dovecot seems to be able to convert on the fly:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/MailFormat

> And is there a way to convert my mbox mail to maildir format?

Yes there are several, but you need to test them.  Last time I used a
program called 'formail', that comes with 'procmail' and I had some errors
- but I was converting some mailman archives which looked like honest
mboxes, so I don't know if the bug was in the mailman or in the recipe.

It seems now that there are several wrappers around formail:
   mb2md                   http://www.gerg.ca/hacks/mb2md/
   convert-and-create      http://www.averillpark.net/Maildir/

Let us know what works [now]...

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163