On Wednesday 07 May 2008 12:08:15 pm Florin Iucha wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 11:28:42AM -0500, tclug at b-o-b.homelinux.com wrote:
> > Hello, and a good day to you all.  Forgive me for not doing my research
> > up front, but can anyone recommend a good SATA raid pci card.
>
> Richard,
>
> You need to define: 'good', 'raid' and 'price'.  Then pick two 8^)
>
> If you want real RAID, you need to go to 3WARE, Areca, Hightpoint,
> Adaptec or LSI Logic, and cough up $100 or more per port.  But you get
> hardware raid, battery backup for the cache, better management, maybe
> some extra checksumming.
>
> If you want decent host-based RAID you can try the Addonics stuff.
> They have a nice line of external SATA enclosures and multi-port
> cards.  They have 4-port RAID for around $100, either internal or
> external.
>
> If you want cheap, go with a JBOD controller and use the Linux
> software RAID implementation.
>
> Cheers,
> florin

A 32-bit 33mhz PCI bus is a horrible place to hang hard drive controllers off
of.  I'm not even sure you can find more than two port pci controllers, let
alone with RAID capability.

In PCI-X or PCI-e you can definitely get in the game for less than $100/port,
ala the 3ware 9550/9650.

If I recall my Highpoint 2300 was under $200 for 4 ports some time ago, but it
has no battery capability.  It does have real management and all the features
of a real controller, including in-OS OCR/OLRM.  PCI-e though.

If you're stuck with 32 bit PCI slots I'd get a plain SATA controller and use
linux's software RAID.  Performance is going to be limited by the bus
anyways.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB