On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 11:28:42AM -0500, tclug at b-o-b.homelinux.com wrote:
> Hello, and a good day to you all.  Forgive me for not doing my research up
> front, but can anyone recommend a good SATA raid pci card.

Richard,

You need to define: 'good', 'raid' and 'price'.  Then pick two 8^)

If you want real RAID, you need to go to 3WARE, Areca, Hightpoint,
Adaptec or LSI Logic, and cough up $100 or more per port.  But you get
hardware raid, battery backup for the cache, better management, maybe
some extra checksumming.

If you want decent host-based RAID you can try the Addonics stuff.
They have a nice line of external SATA enclosures and multi-port
cards.  They have 4-port RAID for around $100, either internal or
external.

If you want cheap, go with a JBOD controller and use the Linux
software RAID implementation.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163