More on the screen refresh problem.

Yes, I did restart the x-server.  In fact, I restarted the computer.

Also, something else I tried - I noticed the xorg.conf had modelines, so
after some digging I used the gtf command line utility to generate a new
modeline and pasted that into xorg.conf and restarted.  The screen res
utility now shows the correct 75Hz, but the flicker problem remains.

Actually flicker might not be the best word.  On moving images like a screen
saver, the image is sometimes flashed onto the wrong part of the screen, so
you get a kind of jagged lightning-like ghost-image effect.  It's not fun.
This is the only version of Linux I've had this problem - I have this
monitor hooked up to an older machine with Debian Etch and that drives the
monitor just fine.

Charlie